Instructions and Application for Study/Research in Scandinavia 2013-2014 Awards
The 2013-2014 competition is closed.
- Before completing this application, be sure to read the eligibility requirements detailed on the Fellowships/Grants to study in Scandinavia page
- All materials must be TYPED to ensure legibility
- The application and supporting materials must be submitted in one complete original copy
- One electronic copy of the application (minus supporting documents) must also be submitted. (see below)
- ASF will not accept supporting documents submitted by e-mail or fax
- All documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by an English translation
- All supporting documents (references and transcripts) must be submitted with the paper application
- Materials that do not meet the submission requirements will not be considered
Instructions for Completing the Application Form
All entries must be completed on the form, as requested. Limit answers to the space provided.
Use your current mailing address. Keep ASF updated of any changes; if you will be at another address in March 2013, be sure to indicate where you can be reached.
State your discipline and area of concentration relevant to this project. (Example: Art History, The Golden Age of Danish Painting)
Should your project require a visit to more than one Scandinavian country, list them in order of length of stay, beginning with the country where you will spend the most time.
Please note that the period of time for which you are requesting support may not begin before April 15, 2013, and that changes in the length of your project may affect award decisions.
Your letter(s) of invitation or affiliation should confirm that the resources needed for your project will be available on the dates of your visit.
This section allows for self evaluation; however, ASF may subsequently request a statement on language competence by a language professional, directed to the needs of the project.
See guidelines for LETTERS OF REFERENCE, below.
Instructions for Preparaton of the Project Statement
Submit one complete copy of a typewritten, double-spaced statement (no more than 1,200 words) and one electronic copy of your proposed research or study. The PROJECT STATEMENT should elaborate on the 200-word project summary. In writing the project statement, you should address the following:
- Explain the ideas or questions that will be examined, and define your objectives clearly. If part of a larger project, describe its relation to the whole.
- Describe the methodology you will employ.
- If relevant, describe statistical procedures and sampling sizes, and supply examples of questionnaires to be used.
- Indicate the importance or significance of the research/study project in terms of the concerns of the field and your professional development.
- Indicate why a visit to the host country is necessary for the accomplishment of the project. Discuss the proposed location selected for your research/study project.
- Describe the arrangements you have made for affiliation or collaboration with individuals/institutions in Scandinavia.
- Show how your project can be completed within the timeframe for which funding has been requested.
- Indicate how you will disseminate the results of your research/study project in the United States or abroad.
- Provide a bibliography, not to exceed two pages, listing the sources most important to your project. The bibliography should demonstrate that you are aware of basic and recent research on the subject.
- If you are a Ph.D. candidate you should indicate if the project is part of your dissertation, if the dissertation topic has been approved, and when formal candidacy is expected.
Originals (one copy each) in sealed envelopes must be included in the same package as your paper application form. Please do not send them in to the ASF separately from the application. Faxed copies, photocopies and e-mail transmittals will not be accepted. Please inform all persons that the deadline for receipt of materials is November 1, 2012. It is the responsibility of the applicant to insure that references and transcripts have been sent.
LETTERS OF REFERENCE: Three letters are required from persons qualified to evaluate your academic or professional work who are able to comment specifically on your proposal. (Placement files will not be considered.) For doctoral candidates or recent degree recipients, one letter should be from the principal adviser of your degree program. For professionals, at least one letter should be from a colleague in your field from outside your home institution. Note that letters of reference cannot be written by the individuals or institutions with whom you will be affiliated in Scandinavia. We recommend that you give a copy of your project statement and/or application form to those writing references so that they can evaluate this specific proposal and comment on your readiness and ability to carry it out.
- Applicants who have not completed a final degree (i.e. Ph.D., M.D., M.Arch., etc.) at the time of application should have official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work sent.
- Applicants who have completed a final degree within the last three years must submit transcripts for graduate work only.
- Applicants who completed a final degree more than three years ago do not have to send transcripts.
PLEASE SUBMIT ONE ORIGINAL PAPER COPY AND ONE ELECTRONIC COPY OF THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW. Each version must contain one of each item, collated in the order shown. Do not staple or use a binder for the paper copy, please use papers clips only (optional).
- Signed application form.
- Project summary (not to exceed 200 words) .
- Budget form.
- Project Statement (not to exceed 1,200 words) and bibliography.
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed ten pages including publications listing).
- Invitation and other relevant correspondence confirming the availability of overseas resources.
Please send an electronic copy of the above material via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3am Eastern Standard Time, November 2, 2012. Attach the documents together in one PDF file, if possible, to avoid multiple attachments in the email.
PLEASE SUBMIT ORIGINAL COPIES (one copy each) IN SEALED ENVELOPES OF THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW. It is not necessary to submit these items electronically or to collate them with the application form.
- Three Letters of Reference (see above instructions)
- Academic Transcripts (see above instructions)