The American-Scandinavian Foundation is seeking applicants for the following open positions.
Please note that for all positions you must be eligible to work in the United States.
The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF) does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin/ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. Read our full Non-Discrimination Policy here.
The American-Scandinavian Foundation seeks an Office Administrator beginning September 2022. Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Providing support for the President on administrative matters:
- Drafting and preparing correspondence; drafting speeches and remarks
- Scheduling meetings and preparing for meetings/visitors. Arranging for in-house luncheons, including set up and liaison with restaurant
- Assist in travel arrangements for domestic and international business trips
- Preparing and submitting expense reports and travel expense vouchers
- General clerical work including maintaining files, taking phone calls and relaying messages, tracking inter- and intra-office mail
- Facilitating communication between the President and ASF Department Heads
Serving as a liaison with the Foundation’s Board of Trustees:
- Maintaining permanent records on Board Members, including address lists, biographical information, meeting attendance, and committee membership
- Coordinating Board and Trustee committee meetings
- Assisting the Board Secretary in preparing materials for Board meetings
- Arrange meeting spaces and all logistics associated with meetings
- Oversee storage solutions, inventories and ordering of supplies and maintenance of shared spaces
- Process outgoing mail and overnight packages
- Serve as liaison with technology consultants, as needed
- Handle issues with phone system and internet service providers, as necessary
- Manage office communications including office closures, calendar updates, and other staff information
- Coordinate orientation for new staff and provide support for all staff needs
Additional responsibilities include:
- Coordinating selected cultural programs and special events
- Assisting with inventories and archives
To apply, please email resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and put Office Administrator in the subject line. No phone calls, please. The American Scandinavian Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from diverse candidates.
Programing and Events Coordinator
The Programs Department plans, coordinates and implements the public programs presented by the ASF at Scandinavia House, including exhibitions, films, concerts, lectures, symposia, as well as children’s programs and special events. The Scandinavia House Manager plans and implements the use of the venues at Scandinavia House by outside organizations.
The Programing and Events Coordinator will be responsible for working closely with both he programming department and the Scandinavia House Manager by providing support for activities taking place in Scandinavia House, including but not limited to screenings, concerts, lectures, symposia and panel discussions. With regard to working with outside organizations, the Coordinator would be onsite during the any events including meetings, concerts, screenings and receptions and will act as laison with the client to address any questions or concerns. Handle general administrative duties, help with coordinating program and event logistics, serving as liaison with program and event participants, and provide technical/audio visual support setup.
Responsibilities (Programming Department)
Concerts and Musical Programming
Accept tickets upon entry
Assist with rehearsal preparation
Produce program notes
Lectures, Symposia, and Panel Discussions
Liase with speakers/participants
Accept tickets upon entry
Facilitate with online ticketing system
Produce program notes
Set up, oversee and supervise on site use of equipment and furniture
Monitor the needs and conduct of groups using Scandinavia House
Provide support to clients, including assisting with set up of ASF equipment and coordinating with outside vendors (lighting, audiovisual, etc. catering)
Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
General understanding of standard audio/visual equipment
Knowledge of the Nordic Countries and a Nordic language a plus
Heimbold Family Children’s Playing and Learning Center Assistant
The American-Scandinavian Foundation seeks a part-time assistant for its Heimbold Family Children’s Playing and Learning Center at Scandinavia House. Responsibilities include providing a safe, clean, and welcoming environment for young children, helping to organize and plan activities for children, and providing information to parents and others about the center and other programs at Scandinavia House.
6-12 hours per week in July and August, up to 30 hours per week beginning in September 2022.
Prior experience with children and/or coursework in early childhood education important.
To apply, please email resume with cover letter, as a single PDF file, to email@example.com and put Children’s Center Assistant in the subject line.
Visitor Services Assistant
American-Scandinavian Foundation is looking for someone to assist in all facets of Visitor Services at Scandinavia House. Scandinavia House: The Nordic Center in America is home to The American-Scandinavian Foundation, a public-supported American nonprofit organization. A wide range of programs is offered, including exhibitions, film series, concerts and other performances, readings, lectures, language courses, and activities for kids.
This position is part-time, two to three days a week and/or on an as-needed basis.
Responsibilities include: greeting visitors and providing information about events, programs and exhibitions; keeping accurate counts of visitors to Scandinavia House, and maintaining a daily log of all activities; box office responsibility for sales of tickets to events, programs, and membership using the ticketing software Elevent; keeping reception area organized and tidy.
Individual will also assist Building Manager when needed with programs and events held at Scandinavia House. Knowledge of and interest in Nordic culture a plus; communication and computer skills a must.